Built in: 1803
Construction of this house has been attributed traditionally to Frederick Grimke Fraser, circa 1803. But according to his own testimony Fraser did not come into possession of this property until August 10, 1827. It is possible that construction commenced soon thereafter, however the style of doorcase and other details suggest a date closer to 1800. The grandson of John Fraser, a Scottish immigrant who settled on plantations in Pocataligo and Coosawhatchie in 1700, Fraser died on February 7, 1852 and left the house to his wife Isobel Fraser and their children. The house is of brick, eighteen inches thick and covered with stucco scored to simulate masonry blocks. Double stairs over a wide arch lead to a piazza whose six slender fluted columns rise to meet those of a second floor verandah. The sixteen-foot ceilings inside the house provide a light and airy atmosphere. A Palladian doorway opens into the upper verandah, and a window of the same style lights the stair landing. The house has wide plank floors of heart pine throughout.