Built in: 1844
When George Elliott built this house about 1840, it had no upper verandah; so the four massive pillars rose to the roof unimpeded. The second story verandah was added in the late nineteenth century. Among the many excellent features of the house are a fine fan lit doorway, attractive iron railings, and good interior details including marble mantels, gilded cornices and moldings. Dr. W. A. Jenkins of Lands End Plantation on St. Helena Island, who owned over 1500 slaves and was one of the richest men in Beaufort, bought the house before the Civil War. After the war it was sold by the Federal Government to George Holmes. His wife, Julia Hazel Holmes lived in the house until her death in the 1930s. The house was operated by the Historic Beaufort Foundation for several years as a house museum before being sold in 1995 and adaptively reused as offices subject to a conservation easement.