Category Archives: Historic Homes

Talbird-Sams House – 313 Hancock Street, Beaufort SC

Built in: 1786 This house is thought to have been built in 1786 by Henry Talbird. This date is not documented, however structural evidence including the conjectured original porch form, tabby basement and molding details strongly support a late-eighteenth century date. The house was later owned by Dr. Lewis Reeve Sams, Jr., who sold it […]

John Archibald Johnson House – 804 Pinckney Street, Beaufort SC

Built in: 1850 Dr. John Johnson and his wife, Claudia Talbird, are thought to have built this three-story house in the 1850s. The house was still owned by Dr. Johnson at the opening of the Civil War and was used during the war as a part of Union Hospital #3. In 1973, a chimney collapsed […]

The Elizabeth Hext House "Riverview" – 207 Hancock Street, Beaufort SC

Built in: 1720 Set well back from the street on a high tabby foundation, the Hext house is considered to be one of the oldest houses in Beaufort. The original house consisted of upper and lower piazzas, a narrow central hall flanked by two rooms on the main floor, and a rear hall and staircase […]

Edgar Fripp House, "Tidalholm" – 1 Laurens Street, Beaufort SC

Built in: 1853 Edgar Fripp reportedly built this large Italianate style frame house as his summer home, when the heat and mosquitoes made life in his plantation home on St. Helena Island intolerable. His brother, James Fripp, owned the house at the time of the Civil War. During the war, the house served as Union […]

The Berners Barnwell Sams House No.2 – 201 Laurens Street, Beaufort SC

Built in: 1852 Dr. Berners Barnwell Sams built his house of brown-toned plantation brick with four sturdy brick Doric pillars supporting a flat roof with a balustrade around the top. These columns support a two story verandah and give the house a handsome, massive look. It has excellent brickwork, good chimneys, and fine interior details […]

Paul Hamilton House, "The Oaks" – 100 Laurens Street, Beaufort SC

Built in: 1855 This Italianate style house set in the shade of magnificent oaks is of frame construction on a brick foundation. The wide porches extend across the front of the house and continue around the sides to meet the projecting back rooms which have bay windows rising from the floor almost to the ceiling. […]

William Fripp House, "Tidewater" – 302 Federal Street, Beaufort SC

Built in: 1830 This superbly designed, well-proportioned house was built in approximately 1830 and is attributed to William Fripp (1788-1860), one of area’s wealthiest nineteenth century planters. Its two-story portico faces the river, and the excellent interior boasts a fan transom, a Palladian window, period mantels and carved plaster work. William Fripp was the son […]

"Moorlands" – 310 Federal Street, Beaufort SC

Built in: Post Civil War The original house on this site is shown in the 1798 sketch of the Beaufort waterfront done by John Campbell. Built by John Bell I and later sold to Robert Barnwell, the house was used as a hospital during the War Between the States. In the 1890’s a great part […]

"Cassena" – 315 Federal Street, Beaufort SC

Built in: early 1800s Local tradition has often cited John Blythewood as the builder of this house in the early 1800s. Architectural evidence suggests a later construction date. Prior to the Civil War, the lot was owned by Ann B. Oswald and her sister Margaret (Mary) R. Bell, daughters of Blythewood. In 1862, Margaret testified […]

"Little Taj" – 401 King Street, Beaufort SC

Built in: 1856 This site belonged to Rhodes family before Civil War. In a conveyance dated 1860, John J. Rhodes refers to Block 17, on which the property is located, as “the Mill”. The present house now looks out towards a tidal basin which before the Civil War was much larger than today, one channel […]