Category Archives: Historic Homes

The F.W. Sanders House – 411 King Street, Beaufort SC

Built in: 1910 Replacing a cottage that burned in the fire which swept through the town in 1907, the present two story house was built in 1910 of heart-pine with mahogany woodwork. Surrounded by a spacious lawn, the house has ten large rooms and six fireplaces which give it an air of gracious living.

William Wigg Barnwell House – 501 King Street, Beaufort SC

Built in: 1816 As recently as January, 1973, this house was slated for demolition. Through the intervention of Historic Beaufort Foundation several stays were granted and in September, 1973, it was moved from its original location at the southwest corner of Prince and Scott Streets to its present site. The twelve room town house is […]

First African Baptist Church – 601/611 New Street

Built in: 1865 This site was shown as property of Praise Baptist Church on the Direct Tax Commissioners map of 1862. The present church was built in 1865 by freed slaves and given to other freed slaves. A marble plaque on the church states: “Presented as a token of respect by A. D. Deas to […]

Joseph Johnson House, "The Castle" – 411 Craven Street, Beaufort SC

Built in: 1861 “The Castle” was built for Dr. Joseph Fickling Johnson by J. S. Cooper, a local builder, according to an agreement signed December 5, 1859. The contract was completed on August 8, 1861, however some elements of the house, notably its porch railings, mantelpieces, and ironwork are reported to have been caught in […]

507 Craven Street, Beaufort SC

Built in: 1880 This section of Craven Street has become one of the most charming parts of old Beaufort. The Craven Street houses were built in the 1880s and 1890s. Several are almost identical. All have decorations made by wood working machinery newly invented in the late 19th century. Several have turrets and towers; some […]

Thomas Hepworth House – 214 New Street, Beaufort SC

Built in: between 1717 and 1722 Rebuilt in: 1760 This house has long been referred to as the oldest house in Beaufort with a construction date of 1717 cited. This date is possibly far too early, with stylistic evidence suggesting a construction, or reconstruction, date of circa 1760. It is documented that Thomas Hepworth, Chief […]

The William Waterhouse House – 212 New Street, Beaufort SC

Built in: 1907 A Sanborn Insurance Company map of 1899 does not show a house on this site,but the present house does appear on a 1912 map. A 1968 survey of historic sites in Beaufort indicates the house was built in 1907. Local tradition holds that the house was built by William Waterhouse for his […]

George Mosse Stoney House – 500 Port Republic Street, Beaufort SC

Built in: 1823 Rebuilt in: 1840 In the John Campbell painting of 1798 a house is shown on this lot. Purchased by Dr. George Mosse Stoney, a physician, the earlier house was replaced to please his wife, Sarah Barnwell. Previous accounts have placed the construction of the house circa 1823, while visible details and Greek […]

The Lewis Reeve Sams House – 601 Bay Street, Beaufort SC

Built in: 1852 This handsome Beaufort Style house has excellent exterior woodwork, lonic columns over Doric on the verandahs, fine doorways and chimneys, and marble front stairs. The interior includes black marble mantels and excellent plaster work. Construction circa 1852 is attributed to Lewis Reeve Sams (1784-1856), a planter who at one time owned half […]

William Joseph Thomas House – 607 Bay Street, Beaufort SC

Built in: 1909 A very old tabby house built by an Elliott originally stood on this site. This house was torn down and replaced by a clapboard dwelling which burned in the fire of 1907. The present house was built in 1909 and is a fine solid Victorian structure. William Joseph Thomas had it built […]