Category Archives: Historic Homes

The Wallace House – 611 Bay Street, Beaufort SC

Built in: 1907 Dr. Thomas Fuller, son of Thomas Fuller, who built the Tabby Manse, once lived in a tabby house which stood on this corner. At one time fifteen children who all reached maturity lived in each of the three houses that originally stood on this block, making a total of forty-five. The Fuller, […]

Lucius Cuthbert House – 915 Port Republic Street, Beaufort SC

Built in: 1820 Remodeled in: 1875 Construction of this two-story frame house is attributed to Lucius Cuthbert in 1820. Built over a high brick foundation, the original house was one room deep with two cypress paneled rooms and other rooms with wainscoting and plaster walls. The Cuthberts moved to Aiken, South Carolina when Beaufort was […]

William Elliott House, "The Anchorage" – 1103 Bay Street, Beaufort SC

Built in: 1800 Remodeled in the early 1900s Local tradition has long held that William Elliott built this house prior to the Revolution, although stylistic evidence suggests a construction date closer to 1800. On the eve of the Civil War it was lived in by William Elliott III, a remarkable man well-known as an agriculturist, […]

John A. Cuthbert House – 1203 Bay Street, Beaufort SC

Built in: 1810 The circumstance of the construction of this house has been lost to two competing legends over the years. The first suggests that it was built near Wyers Pond, but after much sickness and several deaths, the family decided that the location was unhealthy and had the house sawed in half and moved […]

Robert Means House – 1207 Bay Street, Beaufort SC

Built in: 1800 s with many Beaufort houses, the construction and early history of this substantial dwelling is not well documented. Most often attributed to Robert Means (1774-1832), a prominent Beaufort merchant and planter, the property is also thought to have been owned by John Bull circa 1800. If the latter is true, it is […]

Thomas Fuller House, "Tabby Manse" – 1211 Bay Street, Beaufort SC

Built in: 1786 Thomas Fuller House, or “Tabby Manse,” is considered to be one of the finest early houses in Beaufort. It contains eight perfectly proportioned rooms, including three completely paneled in heart-pine and cypress. It has excellent Adam-style mantels, a superbly crafted stairway, a fine Palladian window in the rear elevation and a paneled […]

Charles Edward Leverett House – 1301 Bay Street, Beaufort SC

Built in: 1800 Construction of this house has often been cited as having occurred prior to the pre-Revolutionary, as has the story that it was moved to Bay Street from St. Helena Island by Dr. Benjamin Rhett around 1850. The source of this information has never been documented, however, and construction and stylistic evidence suggest […]

General Stephen Bull – 1305 Bay Street, Beaufort SC

Built in: 1910 General Stephen Bull, a contemporary of “Tuscarora Jack” Barnwell, built a one-story cottage on this lot because he feared that a two-story structure could not withstand the strong winds and storms of the area. The present house, built on the original foundations in the early 1900s is surrounded by a fine well-preserved […]

William Ritchie House – 1307 Bay Street, Beaufort SC

Built in: 1883 Sitting primly and at ease amid its more imposing antebellum neighbors is this sturdy Victorian house. It was built about 1883 by William Ritchie, a foot soldier from Connecticut who came to Beaufort with the Northern Army and decided to remain.

John Joyner Smith House – 400 Wilmington Street (Facing Bay Street), Beaufort SC

Built in: 1813 Originally built circa 1813 in the Federal style for John Joyner Smith, a Beaufort plantation owner, this house was entered from its Bay Street facade. A Greek Revival era remodeling relocated the entrance to its present location along Wilmington Street and resulted in modifications to the interior plan. During the Civil War, […]