Category Archives: Historic Homes

E. A. Scheper House – 1411 Bay Street, Beaufort SC

Built in: 1896 E. A. Scheper is thought to have built this house in 1896. As originally constructed, the house had intricate gingerbread exterior trim. In 1938 the house was bought and almost completely rebuilt, transforming the exterior style from Victorian to neo-Colonial. The rooms were enlarge and expert cabinetmakers were brought to Beaufort to […]

Emil E. Lengnick House – 1411 North Street, Beaufort SC

Built in: 1907 This house, in Queen Anne vernacular style, was built by Emil E. Lengnick sometime between 1905 and 1912. Since that time there have been no substantial changes and there have been only two owners. Set at an angle so that the Beaufort River breezes could be enjoyed, the house, is of heart […]

The Daniel Hingston Bythewood House -711 Prince Street, Beaufort SC

Built in: 1792 Daniel Hingston Bythewood, a British merchant and sea captain, is thought to have built this clapboard house for his wife, Elizabeth Taylor, who had persuaded him to give up his prosperous voyaging and become a Baptist missionary. Both he and his wife are buried in the Baptist churchyard. Built upon a high […]

Frederick Fraser House – 901 Prince Street, Beaufort SC

Built in: 1803 Construction of this house has been attributed traditionally to Frederick Grimke Fraser, circa 1803. But according to his own testimony Fraser did not come into possession of this property until August 10, 1827. It is possible that construction commenced soon thereafter, however the style of doorcase and other details suggest a date […]

Baptist Church of Beaufort – 600 Charles Street, Beaufort SC

Built in: 1844 In 1795, Henry Holcombe of the Euhaw Church moved to Beaufort where a small building was built, probably on the present site of the Baptist Church. The Baptist Church of Beaufort was constituted in 1804 and grew rapidly under the direction of Richard Fuller. Fuller was a Harvard-educated lawyer who converted to […]

St. Helena’s Episcopal Church – 501 Church Street, Beaufort SC

Built in: 1724 Rebuilt in: 1817 Remodeled in: 1842 Founded 1712 as Parish Church of St. Helena, construction began in 1724. The early structure was rebuilt in 1769 and later extended to the west in 1817. In 1842, the church, except for west extension, was demolished down to ground level and new side walls extended […]

Milton Maxcy House "Secession House" – 1113 Craven Street, Beaufort SC

Built in: 1813 An inscription on the basement wall reads: “In this house the first meeting of Secession Áwas held in South Carolina.” According to local tradition, after voting, the Beaufort County Delegation went directly to the boat landing and set off for Charleston to cast their ballots for secession. The foundation of the house […]

William Fickling House – 1109 Craven Street, Beaufort SC

Built in: Late-18th century Remodeled in: Late-19th century ‘The Rectory” was built by William Fickling, who taught in a boys’ school. This two-story clapboard house with Adam-style interior is now the Rectory of St. Helena Episcopal Church. The grounds extend through to North Street and give a view across the lawn of the beautiful south […]

Tabernacle Baptist Church – 907 Craven Street, Beaufort SC

  Built in: 1840 Remodeled in: 1893 The Tabernacle, a meeting house and lecture room, was built by Beaufort Baptist Church in 1840s, perhaps on site of a praise house built before 1832. On 1 September 1863, Tabernacle Baptist Church was organized by the Rev. Soloman Peck of Boston, Massachusetts, with much of its 500 […]

W. J. Jenkins House – 901 Craven Street, Beaufort SC

Built in: 1845 Construction of this house is attributed to W. J. Jenkins about 1845. Although the present two-story portico is thought to have replaced an earlier verandah, this house is still a good example of the well-designed, finely proportioned Beaufort house. Four of the five fan lights are the originals, delicately cut glass in […]