Built in: 1850
Dr. John Johnson and his wife, Claudia Talbird, are thought to have built this three-story house in the 1850s. The house was still owned by Dr. Johnson at the opening of the Civil War and was used during the war as a part of Union Hospital #3. In 1973, a chimney collapsed in the house destroying a portion of its rear wall. Unable to repair the damage or to find a purchaser, its owner was forced to apply for a demolition permit in May 1974. After the permit was granted, the Historic Beaufort Foundation stepped in and purchased the property. It was resold to new owners who restored it. This sophisticated town residence was built in a period of high prosperity, and planned for formal living on a grand scale. A suite of rooms opens to the piazzas, allowing for sun in winter, shade and southerly breeze in summer. There are front and rear interior stair halls, fireplaces topped with wood or marble, and marble mantels in every room. The wide flooring, molding, doors, and paneled window frames are of local heart-pine.