Built in: 1820
Remodeled in: 1875
Construction of this two-story frame house is attributed to Lucius Cuthbert in 1820. Built over a high brick foundation, the original house was one room deep with two cypress paneled rooms and other rooms with wainscoting and plaster walls. The Cuthberts moved to Aiken, South Carolina when Beaufort was occupied and never again lived here. During the occupation, the Federal Army used the house for a bakery. Acquired in 1875 or 1876 by F. W. Scheper, the house was changed by the addition of a second floor verandah, the cupola, the storm entrance, and the handsome fence which bears the Scheper name. The Victorian garden still retains its original plan including tiles marking the beds.