Built in: 1852
Dr. Berners Barnwell Sams built his house of brown-toned plantation brick with four sturdy brick Doric pillars supporting a flat roof with a balustrade around the top. These columns support a two story verandah and give the house a handsome, massive look. It has excellent brickwork, good chimneys, and fine interior details including marble mantels in the front rooms. Facing an open area which is part of the property and long known as the “front green,” the Sams house is a fine example of Classic Revival architecture. The dependency, which has been converted into attractive apartments, contained a blacksmith shop, a cook house with a great fireplace, a laundry, storeroom, and rooms for the household servants. The house was used as a hospital during the Civil War. It was bought by William Wilson at a U.S. Tax Commission sale and later served as St. Helena’s rectory, housing the Reverend A.P.Hay, the “poet of the Confederacy.” Since 1895-96 this house has been owned by descendants of George Crofut.