The Elizabeth Hext House "Riverview" – 207 Hancock Street, Beaufort SC

Built in: 1720

Set well back from the street on a high tabby foundation, the Hext house is considered to be one of the oldest houses in Beaufort. The original house consisted of upper and lower piazzas, a narrow central hall flanked by two rooms on the main floor, and a rear hall and staircase which led to tow floor, and a rear hall and staircase which led to two bedrooms upstairs. A quality of intimacy pervades the house due to its relatively small scale when compared to the houses of the later antebellum compared to the houses of the later antebellum period. The two front rooms have wainscot paneling around three walls with floor-to-ceiling paneling on the exterior fireplace walls. Many of the windows have the original six-over-nine light panes and retain much of the old glass. the floor boards in all but the present kitchen and back hall are of ten inch wide first-growth pine planks. Interior walls are the thickness of only one plank, which indicates that the house is supported mainly by the exterior walls. Elizabeth Hext, the only child of Francis Hext, Jr. and Elizabeth Stanyarne was born in 1746. At the age of fifteen she married William Sam of Wadmalaw Island, grandson of “Tuscarora Jack” Barnwell. In 1783 he bought Datha Island, near Beaufort, and here they lived and raised a large family. When Elizabeth Hext Sam died in 1813, she was buried beside her husband on Datha Island. They Hext House remained in the Sam family until 1864 when it was sold for $640 by the U.S. Tax Commission

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *