Built in: Late-18th century
Remodeled in: Late-19th century
‘The Rectory” was built by William Fickling, who taught in a boys’ school. This two-story clapboard house with Adam-style interior is now the Rectory of St. Helena Episcopal Church. The grounds extend through to North Street and give a view across the lawn of the beautiful south gate of the church. The original house was only one room deep. The rear portion, including a bay window on the east, was added after the Civil War. Photographs made by the Federal Government at that time show an ell, with chimneys at the rear. Both front rooms on the first level are paneled up to the window sills and have two-foot wide heart-pine floorboards. The earliest known record of the house is 1807, when Mrs. Fickling sold the property after her husband’s death. Construction of the house has often been attributed to 1790s. If this is correct, little original detail survives and the building now suggests construction during 1820s or later with much rebuilding before and after Civil War.